Thursday 25 January 2024

Sujood – The Act of Worship Which Allah Shares With His Creatures

Paul Bilal Williams shared a meme depicting a Muslim prostrating to the ground in worship of his deity. Williams’ caption for that meme says:

Sujood is a position where you put the highest part of your body on the lowest part of the ground… Only for Allah! (https://bloggingtheology.net/2017/08/04/sujood-is-a-position-where-you-put-the-highest-part-of-your-body-on-the-lowest-part-of-the-ground-only-for-allah)

Contrary to William’s assertion, the Islamic scripture does not confine this act of worship to the Muslim deity since the Quran in several places has Allah commanding all the angels to prostrate themselves to Adam, with the Muslim god then condemning Satan to hell for refusing to do so:

And when We said unto the angels: Prostrate yourselves (osjudoo) before Adam, they fell prostrate (fa’asjadoo), all save Iblis. He demurred through pride, and so became a disbeliever. S. 2:30 Pickthall

When thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am about to create a mortal out of mire, And when I have fashioned him and breathed into him of My Spirit, then fall down before him prostrate (sajideena), The angels fell down prostrate, every one, Saving Iblis; he was scornful and became one of the disbelievers. He said: O Iblis! What hindereth thee from falling prostrate (tasjuda) before that which I have created with both My hands? Art thou too proud or art thou of the high exalted? He said: I am better than him. Thou createdst me of fire, whilst him Thou didst create of clay. He said: Go forth from hence, for lo! thou art outcast, And lo! My curse is on thee till the Day of Judgment. He said: My Lord! Reprieve me till the day when they are raised. He said: Lo! thou art of those reprieved Until the day of the time appointed. He said: Then, by Thy might, I surely will beguile them every one, Save Thy single-minded slaves among them. He said: The Truth is, and the Truth I speak, That I shall fill hell with thee and with such of them as follow thee, together. S. 38:71-85 Pickthall

The Quran also mentions how Joseph’s brothers and parents were basically made to prostrate to Joseph:

Behold! Joseph said to his father: “O my father! I did see eleven stars and the sun and the moon: I saw them prostrate themselves (sajideena) to me!” Said (the father): “My (dear) little son! relate not thy vision to thy brothers, lest they concoct a plot against thee: for Satan is to man an avowed enemy! S. 12:4-5 Y. Ali

And he raised his parents high on the throne (of dignity), and they fell down in prostration (sujjadan), (all) before him. He said: “O my father! this is the fulfilment of my vision of old! God hath made it come true! He was indeed good to me when He took me out of prison and brought you (all here) out of the desert, (even) after Satan had sown enmity between me and my brothers. Verily my Lord understandeth best the mysteries of all that He planneth to do, for verily He is full of knowledge and wisdom. S. 12:100 Y. Ali

In all these cases, the Islamic deity commanded and even compelled his servants to give to their fellow creatures the same worship that Allah himself receives:

And the wizards fell down prostrate (sajideena), Crying: We believe in the Lord of the Worlds, The Lord of Moses and Aaron. S. 7:120-122 Pickthall

O ye who believe! Bow down and prostrate yourselves (wa’osjudoo), and worship your Lord, and do good, that haply ye may prosper. S. 22:77 Pickthall

And when it is said to them: “Prostrate (osjudoo) to the Most Beneficent (Allah)! They say: “And what is the Most Beneficent? Shall we fall down in prostration (anasjudu) to that which you (O Muhammad) command us?” And it increases in them only aversion. S. 25:60 Hilali-Khan

And from among His Signs are the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. Prostrate (tasjudu) not to the sun nor to the moon, but prostrate (wa’osjudoo) to Allah Who created them, if you (really) worship Him. S. 41:37 Hilali-Khan

Rather prostrate yourselves (fa’osjudoo)before Allah and serve Him. S. 53:62 Pickthall

That’s not all. According to certain narrations deemed to be authentic, Muhammad instructed a blind man to supplicate both himself and Allah together in order to have his invocation granted:

3578. ‘Uthman bin Hunaif narrated that a blind man came to the Prophet and said to him: “Supplicate to Allah to heal me.” He said: “If you wish, I will supplicate for you, and if you wish, you can be patient, for that is better for you.” He said: “Then supplicate to him.” He said: “So he ordered him to perform Wudu’ and to make his Wudu’ complete, and to supplicate with this supplication: ‘O Allah, I ask You and turn towards You by Your Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy. Indeed, I have turned to my Lord, BY MEANS OF YOU, concerning this need of mine, so that it can be resolved, So Allah so accept HIS INTERCESSION for me (Allahumma Inni As’aluka WA MUHAMMADIN Nabi-Ir-Rahmati Tawajjahtu Bika Ila Rabbi Fi Hajati Hadhihi Lituqda Li, Allahumma FASHAFFI‘HU Fiya).’” (SAHIH)

[He said]: This Hadith is Hasan SAHIH Gharib, we do not know of it except through this route, as a narration of Abu Ja‘far, and he is someone other than Al-Khatmi, [and Uthman bin Hunaif is the brother of Sahl bin Hunaif] (English Translation of Jami‘ At-Tirmidhi: Compiled by Imam Hafiz Abu ‘Eisa Mohammad Ibn ‘Eisa At-Tirmidhi, translated by Abu Khaliyl (USA), ahadith edited and referenced by Hafiz Tahir Zubair ‘Ali Za’i [Darussalam Publishers & Distributors, First Edition: November 2007], Volume 6, From Hadith No. 3291 to 3956, Various Narrations On The Chapters Of Supplications, Chapter 118, p. 283 – Online version https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi/48/209; capital and underline emphasis ours)

Here is a different version of this same hadith:

1385. It was narrated from ‘Uthman bin Hunaif that a blind man came to the Prophet and said to him: “Pray to Allah to heal me.” He said: “If you wish to store your reward for the Hereafter, that is better, or if you wish, I will supplicate for you.” He said: “Supplicate.” He said: “So he told him to perform ablution and do it well, and to pray two Rak’ah, and to say this supplication: “Allahumma inni as’aluka wa atawajjahu ilaika BI-MUHAMMADIN NABIYYIR-RAHMA.YA MUHAMMADU inni qad tawajjahtu bika ila rabbi fi hajati hadhihi Lituqda. Allahumma FASHAFFI‘HU fiya (O Allah, I ask of You and I turn my face towards You BY VIRTUE OF THE INTERCESSION OF MUHAMMAD THE PROPHET OF MERCY. O MUHAMMAD, I have turned to my Lord BY VIRTUE OF YOUR INTERCESSION concerning this need of mine, so that it may be met. O Allah, accept HIS INTERCESSION concerning me)”. (SAHIH) (English Translation of Sunan Ibn Majah: Compiled by Imam Muhammad Bin Yazeed Ibn Majah Al-Qazwini, Ahadith edited and referenced by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair ‘Ali Za’i, translated by Nasiruddin al-Khattab (Canada), final review by Abu Khaliyl (USA) [Darussalam Publications and Distributors, First Edition: June 2007], Volume 2, From Hadith no. 803 to 1782, 5. The Chapters Of Establishing The Prayer And The Sunnah Regarding Them, Chapter 189. What Was Narrated Concerning Prayer At Times Of Need, pp. 329-330 – Online Version https://sunnah.com/urn/1287330; capital and underline emphasis ours)

What makes this prayer rather troubling is that Muslims continued to employ this invocation long after Muhammad’s death:

THE HADITH OF THE MAN IN NEED

Moreover, Tabarani, in his “al-Mu’jam al saghir,” reports a hadith from ‘Uthman ibn Hunayf that a man repeatedly visited Uthman ibn Affan concerning something he needed, but Uthman paid no attention to him or his need. The man met Ibn Hunayf and complained to him about the matter – this being after the death (wisal) of the Prophet and after the caliphates of Abu Bakr and Umar – so Uthman ibn Hunayf, who was one of the Companions who collected hadiths and was learned in the religion of Allah, said: “Go to the place of ablution and perform ablution (wudu), then come to the mosque, perform two rak’as of prayer therein, and say:

‘O Allah, I ask You and turn to You through our Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of mercy; O MUHAMMAD (Ya Muhammad), I turn through you to my Lord, that He may fulfill my need,’ and mention your need. Then come so that I can go with you [to the caliph Uthman].” So the man left and did as he had been told, then went to the door of Uthman ibn Affan, and the doorman came, took him by the hand, brought him to Uthman ibn Affan, and seated him next to him on a cushion. ‘Uthman asked, “What do you need?” and the man mentioned what he wanted, and Uthman accomplished it for him, then he said, “I hadn’t remembered your need until just now,” adding, “Whenever you need something, just mention it.” Then, the man departed, met Uthman ibn Hunayf, and said to him, “May Allah reward you! He didn’t see to my need or pay any attention to me until you spoke with him.” Uthman ibn Hunayf replied, “By Allah, I didn’t speak to him, but I have seen a blind man come to the Messenger of Allah and complain to him of the loss of his eyesight. The Prophet said, “Can you not bear it?’ and the man replied, ‘O Messenger of Allah, I do not have anyone to lead me around, and it is a great hardship for me.’ The Prophet told him, ‘Go to the place of ablution and perform ablution (wudu), then pray two rak’as of prayer and make the supplications.'” Ibn Hunayf went on, “By Allah, we didn’t part company or speak long before the man returned to us as if nothing had ever been wrong with him.”

This is an explicit, unequivocal text from a prophetic Companion proving the legal validity of tawassul through the dead. The account has been classified as rigously authenticated (SAHIH) by Baihaqi, Mundhiri, and Haythami. (Nuh Ha Mim Keller, Tawassul: Supplicating Allah through an Intermediary (From Reliance of the Traveller) http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2011/07/02/tawassul-supplicating-allah-through-an-intermediary/; bold and capital emphasis ours)

Here we have an individual at the time of the caliphate of Uthman ibn Affan, over 20 twenty years after Muhammad’s death, offering up the same invocation that the blind man did, a prayer where the man had to speak directly to his deceased prophet and his god.

This means that the Muslim in question was guilty of contacting the dead,

Verily, you (O Muhammad) will die and verily, they (too) will die. S. 39:30 Hilali-Khan

3467. It is related from ‘A’isha, the wife of the Prophet, that the Messenger of Allah died while Abu Bakr was at as-Sunh. (Isma’il says that it means at al-‘Aliyya). ‘Umar stood up saying, ‘By Allah, the Messenger of Allah has not died!'” She said, ”Umar said [later], ‘By Allah, nothing occurred to me but that.” [He said], ‘Allah will raise him and he will cut off the hands and feet of some men!’ Abu Bakr came and uncovered the Messenger of Allah and kissed him. He said, ‘May my mother and my father be sacrificed! You were good both alive and dead! By the One who has my soul in His hand, Allah will not ever make you taste two deaths. ‘ Then he went out and said, ‘O oath-taker, take it easy!’ When Abu Bakr spoke, ‘Umar sat down. Abu Bakr praised Allah and glorified Him and then said, ‘Whoever worshipped Muhammad, Muhammad is dead. Whoever worshipped Allah, Allah is alive and does not die.’ He said, ‘You will die and they too will die.’ (39:30) He said, ‘Muhammad is only a Messenger and he has been preceded by other Messengers. If he was to die or be killed, would you turn on your heels? Those who turn on their heels do not harm Allah in any way. Allah will recompense the thankful.’ (3:144) The people sobbed and wept.” (Aisha Bewley, The Sahih Collection of al-Bukhari, Chapter 66. Book of the Virtues of the Companions http://bewley.virtualave.net/bukhari28.html#companions; bold and underline emphasis ours)

Something expressly condemned in God’s Word, the Holy Bible:

“When you enter into the land which the Lord your God gives you, you must not learn to practice the abominations of those nations. There must not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or who uses divination, or uses witchcraft, or an interpreter of omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts spells, or a spiritualist, or an occultist, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God will drive them out from before you. You must be blameless before the Lord your God. For these nations, which you shall possess, listened to soothsayers and to diviners, but as for you, the Lord your God has not permitted you to do so.” Deuteronomy 18:9-14

“When they say to you, ‘Seek after the mediums and the wizards, who whisper and mutter,’ should not a people seek after their God? Should they consult the dead for the living? To the law and to the testimony; if they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” Isaiah 8:19-20

That’s not the only problem facing Williams since the Islamic sources expressly teach that invocation is the very heart of worship,

296. The excellence of supplication

712. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet said, “Nothing is dearer to Allah than supplication.”

713. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet said, “The noblest act of worship IS SUPPLICATION.”

714. An-Nu’man ibn Bashir reported that the Prophet said, “Supplication IS WORSHIP.” Then he recited, “Call on Me and I will answer you.” (Al-Adab al-Mufrad al-Bukhari, translated by Aisha Bewley, XXX. Supplication http://bewley.virtualave.net/adab4.html#supplicate; capital emphasis ours)

3828. It was narrated from Nu‘man bin Bashir that the Messenger of Allah said: “Indeed the supplication IS THE WORSHIP.” Then he recited: “And your Lord said: Invoke Me, I will respond to you.”[1] (SAHIH(English Translation of Sunan Ibn Majah, Volume 5. From Hadith No. 3657 to 4341, 34. The Chapter On Supplication, Chapter 1. The Virtue of Supplication, p. 95 – cf. Online Version https://sunnah.com/ibnmajah/34/2; capital and underline emphasis ours)

[1] Ghafir 40:60. (Ibid.)

And therefore must be rendered to God alone:

You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything). S. 1:5 Hilali-Khan

Say. Surely my prayer and my sacrifice and my life and my death are (all) for Allah, the Lord of the worlds; S. 6:162 Shakir

Say (O Muhammad): “I invoke only my Lord (Allah Alone), and I associate none as partners along with Him.” S. 72:20 Hilali-Khan

Thus, by teaching his followers to pray to him directly Muhammad turned himself into a god alongside the Muslim deity. Muhammad essentially made himself a partner with his deity by receiving the very worship, which is supposed to be for God alone. And in so doing, Muhammad is responsible for causing his followers to become idolaters and blasphemers for worshiping a creature alongside their supposed creator.

Postscript

Williams’ woes are far from over. The Quran’s story of Allah ordering his angelic creatures to worship Adam, with Satan refusing to do so, is taken from non-canonical, uninspired Jewish and Christian sources, such as the apocryphal work known as The Life of Adam and Eve:

And with a heavy sigh, the devil spake: ‘O Adam! all my hostility, envy, and sorrow is for thee, since it is for thee that I have been expelled from my glory, which I possessed in the heavens in the midst of the angels and for thee was I cast out in the earth.’ Adam answered, ‘What dost thou tell me? What have I done to thee or what is my fault against thee? Seeing that thou hast received no harm or injury from us, why dost thou pursue us?’ The devil replied, ‘Adam, what dost thou tell me? It is for thy sake that I have been hurled from that place. When thou wast formed. I was hurled out of the presence of God and banished from the company of the angels. When God blew into thee the breath of life and thy face and likeness was made in the image of God, Michael also brought thee and made (us) worship thee in the sight of God; and God the Lord spake: Here is Adam. I have made thee in our image and likeness.’ And Michael went out and called all the angels saying: ‘Worship the image of God as the Lord God hath commanded.’ And Michael himself worshipped first; then he called me and said: ‘Worship the image of God the Lord.’ And I answered, ‘I have no (need) to worship Adam.’ And since Michael kept urging me to worship, I said to him, ‘Why dost thou urge me? I will not worship an inferior and younger being (than I). I am his senior in the Creation, before he was made was I already made. It is his duty to worship me.’ When the angels, who were under me, heard this, they refused to worship him. And Michael saith, ‘Worship the image of God, but if thou wilt not worship him, the Lord God will be wrath with thee.’ And I said, ‘If He be wrath with me, I will set my seat above the stars of heaven and will be like the Highest.’ And God the Lord was wrath with me and banished me and my angels from our glory; and on thy account were we expelled from our abodes into this world and hurled on the earth. And straightway we were overcome with grief, since we had been spoiled of so great glory. And we were grieved when we saw thee in such joy and luxury. And with guile I cheated thy wife and caused thee to be expelled through her (doing) from thy joy and luxury, as I have been driven out of my glory. (The Life of Adam and Eve, Latin Version http://wesley.nnu.edu/sermons-essays-books/noncanonical-literature/noncanonical-literature-ot-pseudepigrapha/the-books-of-adam-and-eve/; bold and italicized emphasis ours)

Williams is fully aware of this fact since he was so greatly troubled by it that he sought out a Muslim “scholar” to explain to him why the Quran would include this fairy tale:

Wa-alaykum as-salam.

Well, I imagine that since some of the Quran’s truths appear in earlier literature, including the Bible, whose sources are in most cases lost, it is reasonable to suppose that this kind of apocryphal writing contains material that was handed down from some earlier genuinely prophetic document, which otherwise is no longer extant. Perhaps the original Torah contained it? It can be no more than speculation.

Best wishes, Abdal Hakim…

Salam I’m reading J. R. Daniel Kirk’s A Man Attested by God and he discusses (on p. 73) the Life of Adam and Eve (a Jewish pseudepigraphical writing). It tells of how God commanded the angels to bow down and worship Adam and the devil’s resistance to this on the grounds that he is prior and superior to the human.

There are some similarities with the Quranic account in Qur’an 7:11-18 and elsewhere.

Would you have any thoughts?

best regards

Paul (The Life of Adam and Eve https://bloggingtheology.net/2017/03/07/the-life-of-adam-and-eve/)

To say that Murad’s response is desperate would be putting it mildly.

In the first place, both the Quran and ahadith confirm that the previous Scriptures such as the Torah remain in their true, pristine form since they have never been lost or corrupted beyond restoration. The Muslim scripture further testifies that an important aspect of Muhammad’s mission was to affirm the authority, reliability and inspiration of the very sacred writings, which the Jews and Christians possessed at his time:

Children of Israel, remember My blessing wherewith I blessed you, and fulfil My covenant and I shall fulfil your covenant; and have awe of Me. And believe in that I have sent down, confirming that which is WITH YOU, and be not the first to disbelieve in it. And sell not My signs for a little price; and fear you Me. And do not confound the truth with vanity, and do not conceal the truth wittingly. And perform the prayer, and pay the alms, and bow with those that bow. Will you bid others to piety, and forget yourselves while you recite the Book? Do you not understand? S. 2:40-44 Arberry

And when there cometh unto them a scripture from Allah, confirming that IN THEIR POSSESSION – though before that they were asking for a signal triumph over those who disbelieved – and when there cometh unto them that which they know (to be the truth) they disbelieve therein. The curse of Allah is on disbelievers. S. 2:89 Pickthall

And when they were told, ‘Believe in that God has sent down,’ they said, ‘We believe in what was sent down on us’; and they disbelieve in what is beyond that, yet it is the truth confirming what is WITH THEM. Say: ‘Why then were you slaying the Prophets of God in former time, if you were believers?’ S. 2:91 Arberry

Say: ‘Whosoever is an enemy to Gabriel — he it was that brought it down upon thy heart by the leave of God, confirming what was before it, and for a guidance and good tidings to the believers. S. 2:97 Arberry

And when there cometh unto them a messenger from Allah, confirming that which THEY POSSESS, a party of those who have received the Scripture fling the Scripture of Allah behind their backs as if they knew not, S. 2:101 Pickthall

He has sent down upon thee the Book with the truth, confirming what was before it, and He sent down the Torah and the Gospel aforetime, as guidance to the people, and He sent down the Salvation. As for those who disbelieve in God’s signs, for them awaits a terrible chastisement; God is All-mighty, Vengeful. S. 3:3-4 Arberry

And He will teach him the Book, the Wisdom, the Torah… confirming the truth of the Torah that is before me, and to make lawful to you certain things that before were forbidden unto you. I have come to you with a sign from your Lord; so fear you God, and obey you me. S. 3:48, 50 Arberry

You who have been given the Book, believe in what We have sent down, confirming what is WITH YOU, before We obliterate faces, and turn them upon their backs, or curse them as We cursed the Sabbath-men, and God’s command is done. S. 4:47 Arberry

Yet how will they make thee their judge seeing THEY HAVE the Torah, wherein is God’s judgment, then thereafter turn their backs? They are not believers. Surely We sent down the Torah, wherein is guidance and light; thereby the Prophets who had surrendered themselves gave judgment for those of Jewry, as did the masters and the rabbis, following such portion of God’s Book as they were given to keep and were witnesses to. So fear not men, but fear you Me; and sell not My signs for a little price. Whoso judges not according to what God has sent down – they are the unbelievers. And therein We prescribed for them: ‘A life for a life, an eye for an eye, a nose for a nose, an ear for an ear, a tooth for a tooth, and for wounds retaliation’; but whosoever forgoes it as a freewill offering, that shall be for him an expiation. Whoso judges not according to what God has sent down — they are the evildoers. And We sent, following in their footsteps, Jesus son of Mary, confirming the Torah before him and We gave to him the Gospel, wherein is guidance and light, and confirming the Torah before it, as a guidance and an admonition unto the godfearing. So let the People of the Gospel judge according to what God has sent down therein. Whosoever judges not according to what God has sent down — they are the ungodly. And We have sent down to thee the Book with the truth, confirming the Book that was before it, and assuring it. So judge between them according to what God has sent down, and do not follow their caprices, to forsake the truth that has come to thee. To every one of you We have appointed a right way and an open road. If God had willed, He would have made you one nation; but that He may try you in what has come to you. So be you forward in good works; unto God shall you return, all together; and He will tell you of that whereon you were at variance. S. 5:43-48 Arberry

Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) WITH THEM… S. 7:157 Pickthall

This Koran could not have been forged apart from God; but it is a confirmation of what IS before it, and a distinguishing of the Book, wherein is no doubt, from the Lord of all Being. S. 10:37 Arberry

In their history verily there is a lesson for men of understanding. It is no invented story but a confirmation of the existing (Scripture) and a detailed explanation of everything, and a guidance and a mercy for folk who believe. S. 12:111 Pickthall

We verily gave Moses the Scripture; so be not ye in doubt of his receiving it; and We appointed it a guidance for the Children of Israel. S. 32:23 Pickthall

They addressed (their nation thus): “O our nation! Verily we, we have listened to the Book, made to descend after Musa, being one that is a confirmation to that what is between its two hands (i.e., what had been already there as Allah’s Scripture). It guides towards the truth and towards the permanent Path. S. 46:30 Dr. Kamal Omar

The Quran further sees itself as an Arabic version of the Torah for Arabic-speaking peoples who could not read the former revelations for themselves in their original languages:

And this is a blessed Scripture which We have revealed. So follow it and ward off (evil), that ye may find mercy. Lest ye should say: The Scripture was revealed only to two sects before us, and we in sooth were unaware of what they read; Or lest ye should say: If the Scripture had been revealed unto us, we surely had been better guided than are they. Now hath there come unto you a clear proof from your Lord, a guidance and mercy; and who doeth greater wrong than he who denieth the revelations of Allah, and turneth away from them? We award unto those who turn away from Our revelations an evil doom because of their aversion. S. 6:155-157 Pickthall

Prior to this, the book of Musa was the guide and mercy. This book, (the Qur´an) is in the Arabic language and it confirms and validates (the book of Musa). It warns those committing evil, and gives the good news to the righteous. S. 46:12 Dr. Munir Mushey

Muhammad even warned that Allah would torture a person in a very sadistic and a cruel manner if s/he had the audacity to reject the scriptures given through the previous messengers:

Those who cry lies to the Book and that wherewith We sent Our Messengers — soon they will know! When the fetters and chains are on their necks, and they dragged into the boiling water, then into the Fire they are poured; S. 40:70-72 Arberry

The above data help explain the respect that Muhammad showed to a copy of the Torah that the Jews presented to him, which he then employed to decide a matter for them:

Narrated Abdullah Ibn Umar:

A group of Jews came and invited the Messenger of Allah to Quff. So he visited them in their school. They said: AbulQasim, one of our men has committed fornication with a woman; so pronounce judgment upon them. They placed a cushion for the Messenger of Allah who sat on it and said: Bring the Torah. It was then brought. He then withdrew the cushion from beneath him and placed the Torah on it saying: I believed in thee and in Him Who revealed thee.

He then said: Bring me one who is learned among you. Then a young man was brought. The transmitter then mentioned the rest of the tradition of stoning similar to the one transmitted by Malik from Nafi'(No. 4431).

Grade: Hasan (Al-Albani)

Reference: Sunan Abi Dawud 4449

In-book reference: Book 40, Hadith 99

English translation: Book 39, Hadith 4434 (Sunnah.com https://sunnah.com/abudawud/40/99; italicized and underline emphasis ours)

Now does this sound like a man who believed that the Scriptures of the Jews and Christians were corrupted or that some of their contents had been lost?

This now brings me to my next point. Muhammad believed that the Torah, or the book given to Moses, is a perfect guidance that provides a clear explanation for all the things that it covers:

Again, We gave the Scripture unto Moses, COMPLETE for him who would do good, AN EXPLANATION OF ALL THINGS, a guidance and a mercy, that they might believe in the meeting with their Lord. S. 6:154-157 Pickthall

He said: O Moses! I have preferred thee above mankind by My messages and by My speaking (unto thee). So hold that which I have given thee, and be among the thankful. And We wrote for him, upon the tablets, the lesson to be drawn from all things AND THE EXPLANATION OF ALL THINGS, then (bade him): Hold it fast; and command thy people (saying): Take the better (course made clear) therein. I shall show thee the abode of evil-livers. S. 7:144-145 Pickthall

Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: There was an argument between Adam and Moses (peace be upon both of them) in the presence of their Lord. Adam came the better of Moses. Moses said: Are you that Adam whom Allah created with His Hand and breathed into him His spirit, and commanded angels to fall in prostration before him and He made you live in Paradise with comfort and ease. Then you caused the people to get down to the earth because of your lapse. Adam said: Are you that Moses whom Allah selected for His Messengership and for His conversation with him and conferred upon you THE TABLETS, IN WHICH EVERYTHING WAS CLEARLY EXPLAINED and granted you the audience in order to have confidential talk with you. What is your opinion, how long Torah would have been written before I was created? Moses said: Forty years before. Adam said: Did you not see these words: Adam committed an error and he was enticed to (do so). He (Moses) said: Yes. Whereupon, he (Adam) said: Do you then blame me for an act which Allah had ordained for me forty years before He created me? Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: This is how Adam came the better of Moses. (Sahih Muslim, Book 033, Number 6411 http://searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=033&translator=2&start=0&number=6411)

As such, we would expect to find this story of God commanding the angels to worship Adam, with Satan refusing to do so, in the Torah, specifically in Genesis, since that is where the story of Adam’s creation is found. The fact that the Torah does not mention this event confirms that this is nothing more than a fable, a fairy tale, which Muhammad “borrowed” and passed off as historical fact.

Source: https://answeringislamblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/sujood-the-act-of-worship-which-allah-shares-with-his-creatures/ 

IHS

No comments:

Post a Comment