Wednesday 15 April 2009

Does Muhammad intercede or not?

The Qur’an says no, the Sunnah says yes…

Do Muslims Worship Muhammad?

The
Qur’an claims, in certain places, that Allah does accept the intercession of specific individuals. Yet there are other verses and specific Islamic narratives which soundly refute this assertion of Allah permitting intercession or of Muhammad being allowed to intercede for others: …
 
 “…and no intercession shall be accepted from it, nor any counterpoise be taken, neither shall they be helped”. S. 2:47-48 Arberry
 ..nor any intercession shall be profitable to it, neither shall they be helped” S. 2:122-123 Arberry
 nor intercession; and the unbelievers -- they are the evildoers”. S. 2:254 Arberry.

The last verse above is addressing believers and telling them specifically that when that Day comes, i.e. the Day of Judgment,
they will have no intercessor or friend.

And: …
as I cannot save you from Allah’s Punishment; O Bani Abd Manaf! I cannot save you from Allah's Punishment, O Safiya, the Aunt of Allah's Apostle! I cannot save you from Allah's Punishment; O Fatima bint Muhammad! Ask me anything from my wealth, but I cannot save you from Allah's Punishment." (Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 51,
Number 16)

I can't help you, for I conveyed Allah's Message to you.’ Similarly, I do not want anyone of you to come to me carrying over his neck a camel that will be grunting. Such a person (then) will say ‘O Muhammad! (please intercede for me).’ I will say to him, ‘I can't help you for I conveyed Allah's message to you.’" (Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 24,
Number 485)

Amazingly, Muhammad himself was uncertain of his fate:

Say: "I am no bringer of new-fangled doctrine among the messengers, NOR DO I KNOW WHAT WILL BE DONE WITH ME OR WITH YOU. I follow but that which is revealed to me by inspiration; I am but a Warner open and clear." S. 46:9 Y. Ali

And: “
and I hope the best for him. By Allah, though I am the Apostle of Allah, yet I do not know what Allah will do to me," (Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 58,
Number 266)

How can Muhammad be of any help to anyone else when he wasn’t even certain of his own salvation and couldn’t benefit himself? Contrast Muhammad’s uncertainty with the promises of the Lord Jesus Christ!

The other
problem is that Allah will permit intercession for the believers is that there are narratives which expressly say that Muhammad will intercede for Muslims who have done no good works and are burning in hell:

… He will then hold a handful of the Fire from which He will take out some people whose bodies have been burnt, and they will be thrown into a river at the entrance of Paradise, called the water of life…. Those people will come out (of the River of Life) like pearls, and they will have (golden) necklaces, and then they will enter Paradise whereupon the people of Paradise will say, ‘These are the people emancipated by the Beneficent. He has admitted them into Paradise WITHOUT THEM HAVING DONE ANY GOOD DEEDS AND WITHOUT SENDING FORTH ANY GOOD (for themselves).’ (Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 93,
Number 532s)

According to the Qur’an, however, a true believer is one who has faith AND obeys Muhammad’s commands, doing good works:

But if ye obey God and His Apostle, He will not belittle aught of your deeds: for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." S. 49:14 Y. Ali

Talking about clarity and contradictions….

IHS 

No comments:

Post a Comment